Touch n GO Farm

Whitesburg Georgia

Weserboy PDF Print E-mail

Deja vue

Sick in bed, I remember vividly watching a videotape from Euro Pferde in Oregon.  Out of dozens of horses for sale my eyes lit up when a plain, bay gelding was presented. I asked my student to rewind the tape and watched the segment over and over again. Of all the young horses she'd looked at I told her this horse seemed to be special. She was on a plane to the west coast that weekend and later called to say I could expect a Hanoverian gelding to be delivered in one week. Sure enough, a few days later Weserboy became the latest addition to Touch ‘n GO Farm.

weser_2x3_100dpi.jpgWeser (pronounced "Vee zer") took up residence next to my Grand Prix horse Wendel. The two of them looked like brothers standing next to each other and the breed paperwork revealed that Wendel's sire was Weser's grandsire. Aside from physical similarities, the two stable mates shared good-natured personalities and loved attention.

Weser's video captured his elasticity and expression but the proof lies in the saddle. The first ride convinced me that he could be a good horse but was far from perfect. Tight in the throat, unbalanced and behind the contact in the canter, Weser was a talented diamond in the rough. But what a wonderful work ethic! His tail swung loose, ears bumbled and he had the same sweet nature under saddle as in the stall.

Initially, I just threw the reins to him asked him to stretch and look for a contact. I didn't hold him up nor did I ask him to go on the bit. I just rode Weser up and open, waiting for him to seek the hand. The gelding had a habit of breaking from the canter so we cantered....and cantered.....and cantered some more. After two months of patient work he began to look for an honest contact and a relationship started to form. The owner asked if I was interested in showing Weser in the fall to see how he behaved in competition. Any competitive goals I had set were focused on next year (2005) but I was willing to give Training Level a try. With only two shows remaining prior to the USDF Regional Championships, I signed Weser up for twp upcoming shows and hoped for the best. A few weeks later we had qualifying scores of 74 % and 76%.

weserboy_3.jpgWith less than ninety days in my barn and only two shows for competition experience, Weser and I headed to the USDF Regional Championships and a Training Level class of over 20 horses. On Friday I began the normal pre-competition routine. As we walked Weser around each a arena a horse spooked and bolted in a warm-up ring. The sweet gelding went absolutely Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde and seemed to loose his mind. Even after I regained control his nostrils flared and his heart was beating a mile a minute. He hadn't completely settled down when we left the barn that night and I told his owner this could be a disaster in the making.

The next day the wind was howling and all of the horses were on edge. The same horse that bolted the day before was dancing around the rings and Weser knew it. The warm-up went well but he was more relaxed than I was. When the bell rang I went down centerline with a mouth full dust and my heart in my throat. Weser proved that he could listen in the worst of circumstances and halfway through the test I knew we had a good one. When the scores were posted we had earned a 71.364% and Reserve Champion.

The winter's training solidified our bond and I look forward to seeing how far Weser could go. I rode him in clinics with George Williams, Walter Zettl and Karl Mikolka and they all agreed that he was a special horse. The 2005 spring show season went well with First level scores averaging 68% and a high of 75.28%. Unfortunately, Weser's owner began to have personal problems and had to face the reality of selling the talented horse.

We took Weserboy to the Regional finals in Florida were he faced his show nerves in the championship class with only two, small bobbles. The ride was good enough to earn 5th place in the First Level Open division.

weser_walkpet_2x3_100dpi.jpgOff season training took on a different complexion as he made steady progress and the owner advertised him for sale. By this point he was confirmed in the lateral movements and was working on tempi changes. I knew it wouldn't take long for him to sell. Weserboy left Touch ‘n GO in April of 2006.

I've told many riders with newly-purchased horses to plan on at least one year of relationship building. Experience has shown it takes that long for a deep, trusting partnership to form. Weserboy and I reached that point faster than usual. He was certainly talented enough to go all the way.

His sweet, goofy personality reminded me of my Grand Prix horse Wendel and touched me in a spiritual way. It seemed as though Weser had picked up some of Wendel's persona before he passed away. That depth of feeling may help me train horses but it makes parting with them an acutely painful experience. I'll always remember Weser as wonderful horse I worked with for only eighteen months but felt like we knew each other much longer.


< Prev   Next >